Monday, February 10, 2014

Frozen Fabric Finds

Elsa's snow queen gown;
while I'm still acquiring the perfect fabric to make the skirt from, I found some pretty fantastic options for the other pieces for my version of this gown.

For the bodice base: it looks like a blingy 1970s turquoise disco ball...


But wait....flip it over and voila! The mirrored squares take on an icy look, the perfect base design for the bodice surface texture.

Of course this will get a treatment of fabric paint stenciled in layers of longer triangle shapes, some handmade triangle pallets and a fair share of Swarovski crystal, in various shapes and sizes.

As for the mesh shirt/sleeves; I have found some of the stretch mesh online, and bought 2 yards in two colors, just in case their Aqua is too green:


Baby blue      &      Aqua

For the skirt; so far I've found this shimmer satin (which will also double as the base fabric behind the above disco ball stuff):
It looks like a deeper shade of aqua here, but it's really light in color. Almost too light, and it doesn't have the shimmering linear pattern woven through it like in the film. I've seen something exactly like the fabric in the film in real life, but of course I didn't need any of it at the time :-(
But, this will do for now, since I am also building this for my burlesque (nerdalesque?) routine happening next month, and I won't worry about this getting thrown around on stage.
I've found a metallic crinkle silk chiffon that will be used for the final, more accurate cosplay impression for DragonCon.

Now for the ultimate coup de grĂ¢ce....


The fabric for the train attached to Elsa's bodice.
I was dozing on the couch late one night, images of possible fabrics dancing in my mind that could work and behave similarly to Elsa's train in the film. It's sheer and delicate, but airy and crisp like a layer of frost.
It floats instead of draping heavily from her back. Chiffon, while sheer, is way too fluid and looks heavy by comparison. But everyone has their own versions, and the work I've seen so far on many Elsa cosplays using chiffon is stunning.
For myself; however, I wanted something very particular.
Shimmer organza? No, not often sheer enough and can reflect as opaque when photographed.
Glimmer tulle? No, way too delicate and will probably tear as soon as I take it out in public, even if I'm careful.
When I thought of the above fabric, I nearly sat up and yelled 'Eureka!'
I couldn't for the life of me remember if there was a special name for this kind of tulle, but I had an image of it seared in my mind from a previous fabric hunt where I'd run across it. I was now on a mission.
I stopped by my local fabric store after work and there it was, staring at me from the 'special occasion' section.
While not as crisp as typical tulle, it's still crisp enough with that airy softness, and the metallic threads offer a little more strength (but I will still be super careful with it, only unfurling it in all it's glory behind me for photos).
Once I get the snowflake pattern applied in a sheer layer of spray glue and plenty of silver glitter, that might give it even more oomph and body for the upper half where it attaches. I may even scatter a *few* Swarovski flatback crystals to this, too.
The cool part though, especially for cosplayers, is that Elsa's costume seems to look a little different in every scene. That gives us a lot more wiggle room when it comes to getting it to look accurate enough.

After this one is complete, I'll start on Elsa's coronation dress and cape.
No rest for the wicked.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment, and I will do my best to review and approve asap! xoxo
**Please Note**
I welcome discussion and polite debate, however; comments that are intended to harass, bully, insult, threaten or are just made to be antagonizing, will not be permitted.