Sunday, August 22, 2010

So many pattern bits...

These are just for the breeches o_O


Above is the J.P. Ryan fall front breeches pattern.
I figure that starting with the breeches will be best, so I can more easily determine the length of both frock coat and waistcoat.
The waistcoat needs to be long enough at the center front to cover the waistband closures on the breeches, and the coat's front corners need to hit right above the breeches knee band. Perhaps a little higher, but then as now, it's entirely up to the wearer.
Through the 18th c. longer coat lengths were used for business and dress occasions, while the shorter lengths (as short as mid thigh) were used for sport; hunting, etc.
The person I'm making these for is rather tall, so we will probably stick with the longer option.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment, and I will do my best to review and approve asap! xoxo
**Please Note**
I welcome discussion and polite debate, however; comments that are intended to harass, bully, insult, threaten or are just made to be antagonizing, will not be permitted.