Friday, January 10, 2014

Trotting Along The Path Of Inspiration

http://rococoatelier.blogspot.com/2014/01/naval-riding-habit-inspiration.html

As the sewing area settles back into a somewhat usable space, I have been revisiting the list of projects that I'd like to accompish. For once, I'd like to sew something this year that doesn't end up being a rushed job to complete for an event. That may come later in the year, since I'll be attending a convention that is heavy on the costuming  ;-)
Until then, my wish list is long, so I'm really going to need to pick the most-likely-to-finish items from it.

At the top of the list of course, is a new pair of 18th century stays. I'll need these for fitting if I'm going to be making any more 18th century ensembles.

The next item is to finish the red/cream flourish and stripe robe a l'anglaise. I really need the above stays to do this one properly too.

Third on the list may be another new burlesque costume, and a large prop. This might actually take precedence over anything else this year, besides the stays.

Then I stumbled across Sanna K's post over on Rococo Atelier, regarding naval inspired 18th century riding habits. Of course I had to add that to my list as well, and it also seems many other people have too. It looks like we may have a 'Riding Habit-along' on our hands.
I was also reminded that I have a huge amount of trim that is perfect for such a project. This includes boxes of gold or silver antique military trims, buttons and bullion. The trick is to decide on a color and what the cut will be like. Waistcoat, or none? I'm inclined to go without, but I love the look of a pretty ivory silk waistcoat peeking out from the metallic trim of the frock, and the frothy lace of the shirt.
I'd like to go for something around the middle of the 18th century, and the below images are some inspiration.
I'd love a robin's egg/Tiffany blue, or perhaps in a deep forest green, wool with silver trim. Gold would be nice on either one of those, too.



Even if none of this happens this year, it's still on my to-do list. I have a pattern that could work for the tan colored habit shown here, plus the skirt and a men's shirt that can be modified a little for underneath. The waistcoat, if I go that route, I can tailor over my stays from a men's pattern as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment, and I will do my best to review and approve asap! xoxo
**Please Note**
I welcome discussion and polite debate, however; comments that are intended to harass, bully, insult, threaten or are just made to be antagonizing, will not be permitted.