I mentioned a few weeks ago that I'd like to try my hand at getting a striped taffeta ribbon by using fabric paint and masking tape. Well I finally had the chance to try it today, and while it didn't turn out flawless, I'm pretty pleased with the results.
I found some Frog Tape at my local Home Depot, and masked off the first test stripe. I used a swatch of ribbon from a roll of vintage rayon taffeta. Not the color combo I intend for the Pompadour gown, but a good test run for the paint/tape/taffeta combo:
After I put a good coat of paint down, I let it dry. I used the Lumiere fabric paint in 550 True Gold. This stuff dries fast, so I didn't have to wait long:
I did run into one little snag with this; I may have used just a bit too much paint, trying to make sure the edges were well defined. Also as a side note, if you try this, make sure when pulling the tape off, pull flat along the surface. Not up/away and toward you:
There was a definite raised edge of paint, and a few burrs. Nothing horrible really, but I decided to give it another go using a thinner coat of paint:
Much better (the wider stripe toward the center of the ribbon). Still a bit of a paint edge, but not as raised as on the first attempt and a much nicer depth of color with only one coat of paint.
So, now imagine this done on a medium pink picot edge taffeta ribbon, with a silvery champagne painted double stripe on each edge.